Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 25, 2012

New World Matters

Back in Fall, 1988, I started a Political Science course with Professor Costas Melakopides. I spoke up in class, early in the session, and my comments received a reply of being a "typical Canadian." I had no idea what he meant, but resolved to try to understand the world better.

Now, here I am in 2012, nearly 24 years later, while watching a debate on BBC-International, there was a debate on the Greek debt crisis, as to whether Greece should leave the Euro. The crowd overwhelmingly selected the negative side, that no, it should remain within that union.

My old professor's name flashed in my mind, and I discovered a book that he had published, Melakopides, Costas. Pragmatic idealism: Canadian foreign policy, 1945-1995 (Google eBook). When I can comfortably scare up the CA$76.00, I'll have to purchase that.

In the meantime, I'll have to merely speculate, and continue to expose my "typical" and somewhat naive understanding of world affairs.

The fact that the world looks at things differently has never been so readily accessible. Recently, on my Cable-TV package, I have received access to RT (Russian Television), and AJE (Al Jazeera English). The different bias has been blatant, to say the least, but that's not to say it isn't deserved, or at least, palatable.

While back in 1988, there may have been some excuse for not being aware of points of view from all points of the world, here in 2012, that is no longer the case. However, prevailing bias of each point of view does continue to make understanding difficult.

Different viewpoints are necessary, if understanding is any kind of objective.

It is easy to become overwhelmed with the trials faced by the world's population, especially when so many media-voices are tone-deaf to one another. Trying to infer truth from the limited messages received is arduous, especially when bombarded with unrepentant propaganda.

In the coming days, I hope to share some observations that may find weight. They may end up worthless, in the end, but it will be with the effort of viewing this incomprehensible world of seven-billion-plus with understanding eyes and ears.

That course, back in 1988, was one I abandoned at the close of the first term. In the following spring, I was privileged to participate in a Model UN gathering in Regina, SK. It was an invigorating time, watching the impossible structure of improving the world's affairs. Was indeed a "consummation devoutly to be wished" in a way that there might remain hope, for a better world.

No comments:

Post a Comment